.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

 

Orion in Summer

(click on the image) Blogger photo's strike once again, in Paintshop, at a similar reduction you can see the stars of Orion clearly in my shot, here via blogger you can just see the brightest (sheesh). Anyway, this is a shot of Orion from my back yard, lined up with a SkyMap shot for comparison, you will have to click on the image to see anything worthwhile though. A couple of the faint "stars" are hot pixels, but mostly I've got quite a few of the dimmer stars of orion, with appropriate colours! If only I could increase the shot duration on my Olymous mu300.

Comments:
Hey, that's pretty good! I'm always amazed just how much these little cameras are actually capable of.
 
Yes, and that's with Blogger photos dimming everything substantially. One day I will outrageously adjust gamma and see how it looks in Blogger photos. Nonetheless, the Orion Nebulosity comes out on the larger image, and you can see colours in some of the stars. If I could just take images for longer than 6 seconds I could do some great stuff with this little camera. Usually the greatst impediment with my camera is me :-)
 
I was struck by the color quality before I read the post, very nice!
 
To build up a longer exposure artificially you could try taking a few photos and stacking them. If they are taken close together (in time) then you minimise problems due to rotation as well.
 
AHHHRRGGG!!! Stacking, why didn't I think of that! I usually take multiple shots anyway. I might try converting to BMP and stacking with Registax. (if there is another, easy way to do it, please let me know)
 
Nice picture of Orion Ian. I took a picture of Orion too. It isn't as good as yours but I was going at 530 mph at the time! It had me fooled at first because Rigel wasn't twinkling and I was trying to work out which planet it was. I should have realised that at 36,000ft there isn't as much atmosphere to cause the twinking.

I will post it as soon as I find an internet cafe that I can upload my photos from.
 
The first thing that struck me was was that it's upside-down... yes I'm slow ever here. LOL
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?