.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, May 06, 2006

 

Jupiter Observed at opposition.

Hughie is playing with me. For the first time in ages the sky wasn't clouded over, come sunset I set the telescope out side, hoping to catch the shadow transit of Io on the night of Jupiters opposition. But no, the clouds came over as soon as I had put Smallest One to bed. Fortunately there was a tiny window of clear sky and I got these two shots of Jupiter as Io cleared it (click to enlarge). The images are composites, I shot Jupiter at low exposure time, then cranked up the exposure to image the moons. I then pasted Jupiter from the low exposure onto the over exposed Jupiter of the satellite image. (Each image is a stack of around 50 frames out of 60 in Registax).

You can see quite a bit of detail in the enlarged images, which is pretty amazing given this is taken with an old webcam on a 4" unguided Newtonian. The top image shows some really nice cloud detail (when you click on it and get the enlarged view).

I didn't get to see the new "son of the Great Red Spot", but new Hubble images have been released of it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?